Monday, May 9, 2011

Strive For Perfection

Is it me or is society pressuring us teenagers to look a certain way or to act a certain way? Living in the twenty first century is an advantage and all but there are many downfalls and one of them is pressuring the youth to strive to be something they are not.  All advertising ads or commercials and magazines promote this unrealistic image to male and female youth. They put these ads out there so we feel the need to look like the person in the advertisement. For example they try to convince us that we have to look like Kim Kardashian or Taylor Swift.
                In fact about half of the teenage population in the United States will say they look up to a celebrity, rapper, and athletes to look like. Besides advertisements wanting us to feel the need to look and feel and act a certain way, there are other products out there marketing imperfections in our body. Plastic surgery is one way to get rid of these so called imperfections we have, or make us look like the certain celebrity we admire. I don’t understand why all this advertisements promotes imperfections. Instead of promoting imperfections and making us want to look like other celebrities they should be promoting natural beauty.
                Natural beauty and feeling secure in our own skin is the most empowering feeling a teenager could feel. I say this because I am a teenager. I’m a seventeen year old girl who sometimes struggles with imperfections but I do not listen to what advertisements and everyone else wants me to look like. I feel confident in my own skin, the one God created me in. Lastly to whoever is reading this blog at this very moment I encourage you to lift your head up high and say to yourself right now I’m beautiful and no one could tell me otherwise.  

   By Katie Cardoza

3 comments:

  1. The first point that you said that caught my attention was about promoting imperfections. I completely agree that instead of promoting imperfections and making teenagers feel like we have to look like celebrities, the media should be promoting our natural beauty. This is what we look like. This is what God created us to be. Natural beauty is the best beauty and everyone needs to stop trying to be something they are not. Exactly like you said, most teenagers are trying to look like the people in the magazines, movies and billboards. The thing that worries me the most is that those people do not exist. All of these teenagers are striving to be someone who does not even exist. They have been edited, sucked, tweaked, and modified. Natural beauty is the best beauty. We all look as we do for a reason. These advertisements have been created and sent to promote products and make money off of innocent people who have been brainwashed to believe they are not good enough now. It is not healthy and it is not right.
    - Amanda Cilli

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, I agree with Amanda when it comes to the strongest point of your blog. You are absolutely correct, instead of promoting celebrities with fake noses, eyes, stomachs etc. the media should promote natural, beautiful women. I know many teenagers who strive everyday to look like celebrities, even though those celebrities do not even look that way themselves. They basically strive to look like plastic. Another very sad thing about this is that all of the people who get plastic surgery are already naturally beautiful. However, they want to look like other people who already have gotten plastic surgery. The before and after picture you put in your blog is mind-boggling. That women looked so much more beautiful before getting major plastic surgery; now she just looks fake and hardly beautiful. The sad thing about that is, all teenagers want to look like the new her. God truly created us beautiful. You might think you have imperfections, but do not get rid of them. You never know, someday, someone could fall in love with you because of them. This blog is wonderful because you say just that and more.

    -Veronica Ozog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knowing that others teens like both you girls agree with me is relieving. I feel as if my message has been made my getting my main point across and by it getting peoples attentions. Amanda, I could not have said what you did any better. Your right these women on billboards do not even exist, they edit them and make them “perfect.” As I said before it is sad that most teenagers look up to people that do not even exist or look like they do in the billboards. You used the word I was looking for brainwashed; many product companies are brainwashing us to not love our natural beauty and it is just sad to watch happen to our generation.
    Veronica I’m glad you agree with me because sometimes I think about it and a lot of teens would say that agree with me but still do not realize that they are not embracing their natural looks. The picture of Heidi Montag is very scary to look at like you said, she looks plastic and not happy. She is an example of what girls or boys do not want to do with their bodies by damaging them with plastic surgery. I’m glad my post touched whoever read it and hopefully it changed their minds about natural beauty and plastic surgery and to not get it done & to love their bodies and who you are.

    ReplyDelete